Monday, January 10, 2005

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ice Cream

I have been known to be a slightly picky ice cream eater. My cardinal rule is "no vanilla-based ice cream,"* but there are a couple of other guidelines I follow:

1.Chocolate-based is the best. However, coffee, mint, and very occasionally fruit-based are acceptable for appropriate variety.
2. Fudge and caramel ribbons are delicious. Marshmallow ribbon is foul.
3. No chocolate chips, flakes, or chunks. I like my chocolate to melt in my mouth and ice cream is just too cold for it.
4. The ban on nuts has been relaxed to allow chocolate covered nuts or tolerate nuts if they are accompanied by other fillings. Absolutely no walnuts.
5. No brownies.

I also like lots of fillings, which can be hard to come by in a chocolate ice cream with no brownies, chocolate chips or nuts. Fortunately, there is a local ice cream chain, Toscaninis, that has an amazing variety of mind-blowingly delicous ice cream, and there is usually at least three flavors at any time that I love. Store brands however, ususally leave me unsatisfied. There have been fleeting glimpses of greatness, in limited edition flavors, notably Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Cherry Garcia (chocolate frozen yogurt with cherries and white chocolate chunks - so good I bent rule number 3) and Haagen Dazs' chocolate caramel (chocolate with a generous caramel ribbon).

Now there is one more: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough - chocolate peanut butter flavored ice cream, peanut butter cookie dough gobs, and fudge chips (softer than chocolate chips and therefore acceptable). It's a limited batch though, so if you want to try it, you'd better hurry. Plus, maybe if you and enough other people buy it, it won't go back to the flavor graveyard. Please don't let it die.

*I will occasionally taste a very high quality, very vanilla, vanilla ice cream, but in general vanilla is just an excuse for a lack of flavor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home